– Share ownership (January 2009): 11.29% by Total ; 8.99% by L’Oréal (30.8% by the Bettencourt Family, 29.6% by Nestlé).
– Share ownership (January 2008): 12.70% by Total ; 8.66% by L’Oréal.
– Share ownership (March 2007): 13.12% by Total ; 10.52% by L’Oréal.
– Share ownership (January 2006): 12.74% by Total ; 10.21% by L’Oréal.
– Share ownership (January 2005): 12.65% by Total ; 10.13% by L’Oréal.
– Sanofi-Synthélabo Share ownership (January 2004): 24.35% by Total ; 19.52% by L’Oréal.
– Sanofi-Synthélabo Share ownership (after the merger): 35.3% by Total ; 19.52% by L’Oréal.
– Full member of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations.
Jean-Marc Bruel (1936-)
– Board of Directors since 2004.
– President and Chairman of Firmenich S.A. and Board of Villette-Entreprises Foundation.
– Vice-Chairman (1992) and President (1987-1992) of Groupe Rhône-Poulenc.
– Board of Directors at Rhodia S.A. (2002).
– Supervisory Board of Banque Paribas.
– Director of Surveillance of Aventis, Ecole Centrale de Paris, and Institut Curie.
Klaus Pohle (1938-)
– Board of Directors since August 2004.
– Chairman of the German Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
– Vice-Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Hypo Real Estate Holding AG (Germany).
– Director of Labelux Group GmbH (Austria).
– Supervisory Board and Chairman of the Audit Committee of DWS Investment GmbH (Germany).
– Director and Chairman of the Audit Committee of Coty Inc., New York.
Jean-René Fourtou (1940-)
– Board of Directors since 2004.
– Board of Directors of Nestlé (since 2006); Cap Gemini SA (since 2002), France; NBC Universal, USA; Maroc Télécom, Morocco; Schneider Electric; La Poste; Pernod-Ricard SA; and Rhodia.
– Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Canal+ Group, France.
– Vice Chairman of the Supervisory Board of AXA Group.
– Consulting Engineer in organizational management at Bossard & Michel (1963-1972).
– CEO of Bossard Consultants (1972).
– Chairman and CEO of the Bossard Group (1977-1986).
– Chairman and CEO of Rhône-Poulenc Group (1986-1999).
– Chairman (1992-1993) and Honorary Chairman of the Association of Companies for the Environment.
– Chairman (1992-1994) and Honorary Chairman of the French Movement for Quality.
– Vice Chairman of the Management Board and Managing Director of Aventis (1999-2002).
– Director of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (2000).
– Chairman and CEO (2002-2005) and Chairman of the Supervisory Board (2005) of Vivendi.
– Chairman (2003-2004) and Honorary Chairman of International Chamber of Commerce.
– Commander of the Legion of Honour in 2008, Officer of the Legion of Honour in 1996 and Commander of the National Order of Merit in 2003.
– Commander of the Order of Ouissam Alaouite (Morocco, 2005) and Commander of the Order of Ouissam al Moukafaa al Watanya (Morocco, 2005).
Jean-Francois Dehecq (1940-)
– Chairman of the Board of Directors (-2010).
– President of Sanofi-Synthélabo Daiichi Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd.
– General Manager of Sanofi (1973-2007); Permanent Representative of Sanofi-Synthélabo at the Board of Sanofi-Synthélabo Recherche (France); Director of Fujisawa Sanofi-Synthélabo (Japan), and Sanofi-Synthélabo Inc. (United States).
– President of The European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations.
– Director of Finance at Management (France), Financière Yves Rocher (France) and Laboratoires Daiichi Sanofi-Synthélabo (France).
– Chairman of Policy Committee of the French Strategic Investment Found.
– Director of Air France, Air France-KLM, (since 1995); Agence Nationale de la Recherche; Pechiney (since 1994); Balmain (Belgium); Paris EUROPLACE; and Veolia Environnement (since 2006).
– Member of IFPMA (International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations); and Fondation Francaise pour la Recherche sur l’Epilepsie.
– Chairman of Association Nationale de la Recherche Technique.
– Graduate and Chairman of the Board of Directors of ENSAM (Ecole Nationale Superieure d’Arts et Metiers).
– Supervisory Board of the Agency for Industrial Innovation.
– After teaching mathematics at the Saint-Vincent de Senlis Catholic College, secondary school, (1964-1965), became a trainee in scientific research in the Army’s Nuclear Propulsion Department.
– Economics departments (1965-1969) and assistant to management (1969-1970) at Elf Aquitaine.
– Operating engineer at the Lacq Factory (1970-1971).
– Managing Director (1971), Managing Director (1982-1988) and Vice-President of Sanofi.
– Executive Vice President of Health at ELF Aquitaine Group (1988).
– President and Director-General of Sanofi-Synthelabo (1999).
– President and Director-General (until December 2006) and President (January 2007) of Sanofi-Aventis.
– Former Director of Alcan France S.A.S.
Gerard Van Kemmel (1940-)
– Board of Directors since 2003.
– Director of Groupe Eurotunnel, Eurotunnel NRS Holders Company Limited (UK), and GET S.A. (since 2008).
– Audit Committee and Director of Europacorp (since 2008).
– President of Europe Middle East Africa Division (2001) and President Europe (2002-2004) of Novell Inc.
– Senior Vice President (1997-1999), Chief Operating Officer and Executive Vice President (1999-2001) of Cambridge Technology Partners Massachusetts Inc.
– Technical Advisor to the French Minister of Finance (1996-1997).
– Chairman of Continental Europe for Peter Chadwick Holdings Limited (1997).
– 1966-1996: Many positions at Andersen Consulting.
– Graduated from Hautes Etudes Commerciales in Paris and MBA from Stanford Business School.
Igor Landau (1945-)
– Board of Directors since 2004.
– Board of Directors of HSBC France.
– Supervisory Board of Adidas AG (deputy chairman) and Allianz.
– President of La Compagnie du Roneo (1968-1970).
– Consultant of McKinsey & Company (1971-1975).
– Deputy to President in health division (1975-1977), executive vice president in health division (1977-1980), president of health division (1980–1992), and president (1992–1998) at Rhône-Poulenc Group.
– President of pharmaceutical division and board member (1998-2002) and chairman and CEO (2002-2004) of Aventis.
Arthur Charles Valerian Douro (1946-)
– Board of Directors since 2002.
– Director of Pernod-Ricard SA; Compagnie Financière Richemont AG (Switzerland); GAM Worldwide (UK); and Abengeo Bioenergy (Spain).
– Commissioner of English Heritage.
– Senior Advisor of Calyon (UK).
– Chairman of Richemont Holdings Limited; Framlington Group; Kings College London; Sun Life & Provincial Holdings, AXA, (1995-2000); and Dunhill Holdings.
– Deputy Chairman of Vendôme Luxury Group.
– Non-Executive Director of Compagnie Financiere Richemont AG (2000).
– Member of the European Parliament (1979-1989).
– MA degree from Oxford University.
Owe Bicker, M.D., Ph.D. (1946-)
– Board of Directors since 2008.
– Professor of University of Heidelberg Medical School.
– Managing Director of Behringwerke AG.
– Executive Chairman of Scil Holding GmbH.
– Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Dade Behring Holding GmbH (2005).
– Supervisory Board (2005) and Deputy Chairman of Supervisory Board at Epigenomics AG.
– Board of the University Marburg.
– Board of Trustees of the Aventis Foundation.
– Non-Executive Director of Oxford GlycoSciences Plc.
– Board member of HoechstMarionRoussel AG; Bertelsmann Stiftung (2008); and Boehringer Mannheim GmbH (Roche AG).
– Advisory Board at CVC Capital Partners Ltd.
– Supervisory Board member of Future Capital, and Definiens AG.
– Director of MedImmune Limited (1999).
Robert Castaigne (1946-)
– Board of Directors since 2000.
– Begining Career (1972); Secretary of the Executive committee (1985-1990); Vice Chief Financial Officer and Member of the Steering committee (1990-1994); Chief Financial Officer (1994-2008) of Total S.A.
– Chairman of the Board of Directors of Total Chimie and Total Nucléaire.
– Director of Hutchinson S.A.; Petrofina; TEP Algérie; Omnium Insurance and Reinsurance Company Limited; Société Financière d’Auteuil; Eramet S.A. (1999); and Compagnie Générale de Géophysique-Veritas (1992-2004).
– Non-executive director of Vinci (2007), and Compagnie nationale à portefeuille (2008).
– Director of Total Nigeria Ltd.; Total Fina Elf Exploration Norge; Total Fina Elf Holdings UK; Total Fina Elf Exploration UK; Total Gabon; Total Gestion Filiales; Atofina Petrochemicals Inc.; Elf Aquitaine.
Thierry Desmarest (1946-)
– Board of Directors since 2000.
– Management positions (1981), President of Exploration & Production, Chief Executive Officer (1995-2007) and Chairman of Total S.A.
– Director of Bombardier Inc. (2009); Air Liquide Tunisie (1999); Paris EUROPLACE; Air Liquide Canada Inc.; Renault SAS; and Renault S.A..
– Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Paulstra CRC Corporation.
– Supervisory Board of Areva.
– Advisory Council of Banque de France.
– Technical Advisor at the Ministry of Industry and the Ministry of Economic Affairs of the Government of France.
Lindsay Owen-Jones (1946-)
– Board of Directors since 1999.
– Director of Ferrari S.P.A.; BNP Paribas (1989); and Gesparal.
– Director (1994-2001) and Vice Chairman of Supervisory Board (2001-2009) of L’Air Liquide SA.
– Chairman of Galderma Pharma SA, Switzerland.
– Chief Executive Officer of L’Oréal Group and its subsidiary L’Oreal S.A. (1988-2006) and Chairman (2006).
– President of L’Oréal USA (1981-1984).
– Chief Executive of L’Oréal Italy (1978-1981).
– MBA from Oxford University in 1968.
– Commander of the Légion d’Honneur and Commander and Knight Commander of the British Empire.
Serge Weinberg (1951-)
– Non-executive Chairman of the Board since May 2010.
– Member of the Trilateral Commission.
– Vice-Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Schneider Electric.
– Director of Fnac, Artémis, and Gucci.
– Board of the French Association of Private Enterprises.
– Founding Member and Treasurer of the Brain and Spinal Cord Institute.
– Chairman of the Board of Corum since 2008.
– Founder of the investment firm Weinberg Capital Partners.
– Member of the “Growth Release Committee” (Attali Committee, 2007-2008).
– Non-Executive Chairman of the Board of Accor Group (2006-2009).
– At Pinault Group: CEO of CFAO; Chairman and CEO of Rexel (1991-1995); Chairman of the Management Board (1995-2005) of PPR, the largest non-food retailer in Europe and the 3rd largest multibrand luxury goods company in the world.
– General Manager with investment bank Pallas Groupe (1987-1990).
– Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Havas Tourisme Group (1983-1987).
– Deputy General Manager for Finance at the French Television Channel FR3 (1982-1983).
– Civil servant in the French administration (1976-1981); Chief of Staff of the French Budget Minister (1981-1982).
– Bachelor’s degree in Law, Graduate Degree of Institut d’Études Politiques, and Graduate of the Ecole Nationale d’Administration (1976).
Gunter Thielen (1944-)
– Board of Directors (2008-2009), resigned for personal reasons.
– Chief Executive Officer of Thiel Logistik AG.
– Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Bertelsmann AG.
– Non-Executive Director of RTL Group S.A. (2002-2007).
– Supervisory Board of Arcandor AG; Sixt Aktiengesellschaft (2008); Leipziger Messe GmbH; Groupe Bruxelles Lambert; Hannoversche Leben VVaG; Saar LB; and Gruner & Jahr Ag & Druck-und Verlagshaus.
– Chairman of the Board and Director of Arvato AG.
– Executive Board of Berryville Graphics Inc.; Cobrhi S.A.; Bertelsmann Holding Spain S.A. (Sony Music Entertainment Inc.).
– Head of Management of Maul-Belser (1980).